Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Juba dis and Juba dat: Serious Sillyness of JUBA!!!

I have interviewed the memebers of experimental ambient industrial musical gathering JUBA!!!
Ador, Frosti, and Bijma have given me an insight into the music making process of this progressive band.


Right to Left: Frosti, Ardor, and Bijma

Ardor:

B:Tell me a little bout Juba.
A: We make sounds for sounding pleasure.


B:What are Juba's musical influences?
A: Black slaves, and bands like Matmos, Mayhem and White House.


B:Where did you get the name "Juba" from?
A:It comes from Pattin Juba. Slaves used their bodies as percussion instruments and sang.

B:One last question. Since most of your influences seem to be serious ones, Where does Juba's silliness come from?
A:Our silliness come from getting drunk and high before recording.


Frosti


B:What influences you when you make music for Juba?
F:My surroundings, my state of mind, Wind chimes on a summers evening night...with a little breeze.


B:Before you joined the band the music was more serious. Since you have joined you have relieved the band of their seriousness. You seem to be the cause of the silliness in the band, we're you aware of that?
F:I was aware and I was embarrassed. I want to take it seriously but I can't right now.



Bijma interviews himself


B:What would you like to say about Juba?
B:Since I am broke the concept behind Juba is dear to my heart. We make music with what we have around us. I also like the gritty sounds Lo-tech recordings make.

B:What does the band name Juba mean to you?
B:Self reliance and minimalist survival.


B:Where do you think Juba's silliness comes from?
B:I take it too seriously to think its funny.


Listen to Juba on their myspace.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=388680166&MyToken=91910aeb-5d2e-4757-9153-b0789605adb7


This is a popular song performed by African American musicians about the Juba:
"Juba Juba",

"Juba dis and Juba dat,
and Juba kissed da yellow cat,
You sift the meal and ya gimme the husk,
you bake the bread and ya gimme the crust,
you eat the meat and ya gimme the skin,
and that's the way,
my mama's troubles begin"

No comments: